HISTORY OF The PLANTATION
Posted on theforksplt.org
The Somerset Railroad was built to serve Kennebec River communities and later extended through timberlands to a large wooden Victorian era destination hotel on Moosehead Lake. However, Mount Kineo was not the only destination sought by passengers on the Old Somerset Railroad. Many prominent figures of the time, such as Theodore Roosevelt and Henry David Thoreau, ventured to Maine’s Somerset County in search of wilderness. Lake Moxie Station became the jumping off point for sporting camps and remote destinations north along the current U.S. Route 201 all the way up to The Forks, Lake Parlin, and Upper Enchanted Township.
West Side Is The Best Side
West Forks, a plantation in Somerset County, was fully organized March 31, 1893, though it had been organized for election purposes in 1859. It is north of The Forks Plantation.
The Kennebec River forms the plantation’s eastern boundary. The turbulent and dangerous 10-mile Kennebec River Gorge, is accessible only by experienced whitewater rafters.