French Onion Soup
- 2 large red onions
- 4 tbsp butter
- 2 tsp thyme
- 1/3 cup red wine
- 8 cups beef broth
- 1 tbsp worcestershire
- 1 bay leaf
- In a large pot over medium-high heat, melt the butter.
- Add onions to the butter and saute until softened (about 10 minutes). Remember to stir often and cook the onions longer for more flavor.
- When onions have developed a nice color, add the red wine to release all the flavor from the onions. Make sure to scrape up any bits stuck to the pot for maximum flavor.
- Add broth, worcestershire, thyme and bay leaf to the pot and bring to a boil over high heat.
- Reduce heat to medium or medium-low and simmer for about 20 minutes, uncovered. Stir occasionally to keep things from sticking to the bottom of the pot.
- Remove thyme and bay leaf. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Best Kitchen & Cooking items
*All of the funding for our community outreach is supported through purchases made through our marketplace. We wouldn’t be able to help any of our local Maine towns, businesses, schools, individuals & local charities without these sales. You make everything we do possible with even the smallest purchase!